HCP Pocket Wetland History
Hudson Crossing Park lies between Lock 5 of the Champlain Canal and the Hudson River. The current Champlain Canal parallels British General Burgoyne’s 1777 route to try to gain control of Lake Champlain and the Hudson river valley. These bodies of water would have been important trade routes for the British during the Revolutionary War. General Burgoyne’s efforts failed and he surrendered in Saratoga.

Years after the Revolutionary War had ended, construction on the Champlain Canal was authorized. On April 15, 1817 construction on the canal began and by September 10, 1823 the Champlain Canal was finished. Old Champlain Canal lock 5 was constructed in 1822 in Waterford. These canals provided alternative transportation from New York to the Great Lakes states for people and commercial products. During the period of canal construction, the steam-powered dredge emerged. The dredge was used to create waterway channels, destroying nearby wetlands.
In 1912 construction began to expand the Champlain canal and by 1918 the new canals opened. The current canal system mostly runs parallel to the old canals. Before the expanding construction, the pocket wetland in Hudson Crossing Park was connected to the larger wetland on the other side of the play garden. Due to the construction of the new Canal Lock 5 this wetland was separated into two.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histus.html

Old Canal Lock 5-http://www.champlaincanal.net
HCP's Pocket Wetland
Special Features
Return to Wetlands Menu
Contact Us
FAQs
Virtual Tour
HCP Videos
Volunteer / Wishlist
Calendar
Master Plan
Links/Remarks
Home
Newsletters
Stay in the loop
with our free e-Newsletter