In an area with a wealth of history, Knox Pocket Trail Park is part of what remains as one of the most dramatic strategic moves of the Revolutionary War. In the winter of 1775-76, a young General Henry Knox was charged by George Washington to obtain 59 captured artillery pieces from Fort Ticonderoga to the heights overlooking the British-occupied city of Boston. This "train of artillery" was in part carried over today's New York State Rt. 4 through Northumberland to the village of Schuylerville. Traversing deep snow, frozen rivers and very cold temperatures, Knox's successful delivery of this artillery to General Washington forced the British evacuation of the city the next spring, resulting in one of the early victories for the American Army. Henry Knox went on to become a Major General and was the top artillery commander during the entire Revolutionary War. He also became the nation's first Secretary of War.
In 1926 fifty six granite and bronze monuments were erected to mark the 290 mile Heritage Trail between Fort Edward and Boston. Three monuments in close proximity to Hudson Crossing Park are at Knox Trail Pocket Park at the foot of Stark's Knob Road, another at the south end of Schuylerville, the third just 10 miles to the south, in Bemis Heights.
The Knox Trail Pocket Park, with convenient parking and just a short walk from Stark's Knob, provides picnic tables and interpretive signs. The Turning Point at Olde Saratoga Rotary Club has adopted this Hudson Crossing Pocket Park, helping to care for flower beds and landscaping.
A trio of flags and split rail fencing on the corner of N.Y.S. Route 4 and Stark's Knob Road beckons travelers to pause for a few moments to check out
this historic site. For more about this trail, and other sign locations tap HERE